The Monroe Symphony League Announces the
2023 Majorie Stricklin Emerging Artists Competition
Saturday, January 14th, 2023
Biedenharn Recital Hall
University of Louisiana Monroe
Monroe, LA 71209
The Emerging Artists Competition is an annual event established by the Monroe Symphony League and the Monroe Symphony Orchestra to promote and encourage excellence in musical performance.
Youth: ages 12 through High School graduation
Young Adult: college freshmen through age 25
2. Winds, Brass, Percussion
In the preliminary round, a winner from each performance category will/may be chosen in each of the age divisions. Each preliminary round winner will be awarded a cash prize of $100.00. All preliminary winners will then compete in a final round that takes place in the form of a recital at 7:00 p.m. that same evening. After the final round, the judges will rank the performers. The first-place winner will receive $500; the second place, $250; the third place, $125.
1. Applications must be submitted via the online form and a non-refundable application fee paid through PayPal. The final deadline is midnight of Sunday, December 18, 2022. There is a discount price for meeting our earlier deadline of November 20, 2022.
Applications fees are:
$25 application fee required before November 20, 2022.
$35 application fee required before December 18, 2022 if after the early deadline.
The online form will direct you to PayPal when you click the “submit button.” Application fees must be received for the application to be considered complete.
2. Entrants must be residents of the Louisiana, Mississippi, or Arkansas, or be enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution in one of those states at the time of the competition.
3. Instrumentalists will be required to perform the first or last movement of a standard concerto or concert piece for which orchestral accompaniment is available. Vocalists will perform two (2) concert/operatic arias in the original key for which orchestral accompaniments are available.
4. **All compositions must be in their original form. No transcriptions will be accepted.** Each contestant will perform the solo part of his/her selection in its entirety; however, orchestral interludes may be abbreviated at the performer’s discretion. Only live accompaniments are permitted. The entrant must provide an original score or solo part for the judges when they check-in – no photocopies will be allowed.
5. Entrants must perform from memory.
6. The decision of the judges will be final. If performances do not meet the judges’ standards, no winner will be selected. There will be no ties.
7. The Monroe Symphony League will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by entrants.
1. Entrants will be notified by email of their audition time prior to January 2, 2023.
2. Names of winners will be announced following the completion of each Division’s Preliminary Round. Final winners and any winner selected to perform with the Monroe Symphony will be announced following the evening Final Round Recital.
3. Each entrant will make provisions for his/her own accompanist. For assistance in obtaining an accompanist in the Monroe area, please contact an Auditions Coordinator, Dr. Mel Mobley (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 318-342-1575) as soon as possible. No guarantee will be made for last minute requests.
4. Competition check-in is required at least 15 minutes prior to the contestant’s assigned audition time. No contestant will be allowed to check in without an original part or score for the judges.
5. The Monroe Symphony League audition committee reserves the right to review and approve or disqualify applicants on the basis of their qualifications.
This project is made possible through the interest and generosity of Monroe Symphony League, the Monroe Symphony Orchestra, and the ULM School of Visual and Performing Arts.