January 13, 2018
Emy-Lou Biedenharn Recital Hall
University of Louisiana Monroe
The Marjorie Stricklin Emerging Artists Competition is an annual event established by the
Monroe Symphony League and the Monroe Symphony Orchestra to
promote and encourage excellence in musical performance.
See below for competition details and application form.
- Youth: ages 12 through High School graduation
- Young Adult: college freshmen through age 30
- Winds, Brass, Percussion
In the preliminary round, a winner from each performance category will/may be chosen in each of the age divisions. Each preliminary round winner will be awarded a cash prize of $100.00. The preliminary winners will then compete in a final round that takes place in the form of a recital at 7 p.m. that same evening. After the final round, the judges will rank the performers. The first place winner will receive $500; the second place, $250; the third place, $125. One of these Final Round winners may be selected to perform their entire composition with the Monroe Symphony Orchestra during the orchestra’s next concert season.
- Applications must be submitted via the online form no later than midnight of Sunday, December 10, 2017. A non-refundable application fee of $35 paid through PayPal, must be received for the application to be considered complete. The online form will direct you to PayPal when you click the “submit” button.
- Entrants must be residents of Louisiana, Mississippi, or Arkansas, or be enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution in one of these states at the time of the competition.
- Instrumentalists will be required to perform the first or last movement of a standard concerto or concert piece for which orchestral accompaniment is available. Vocalists will perform two (2) concert/operatic arias in the original key for which orchestral accompaniments are available.
- **All compositions must be in their original form. No transcriptions will be accepted** Each contestant will perform the solo part of his/her selection in its entirety; however, orchestral interludes may be abbreviated at the performer’s discretion. Only live accompaniments are permitted. The entrant will provide an original score for the judges when they check in – no photocopies will be allowed.
- Entrants must perform from memory.
- The decision of the judges will be final. If performances do not meet the judges’ standards, no winner will be selected. There will be no ties.
- One of the Final Round winners may be selected to perform with the Monroe Symphony Orchestra during the following year’s concert season, and, if chosen, will be engaged by the MSO independently of this competition. This winner may be asked to perform the entire composition with the MSO or only the movement used for the Emerging Artists Competition at the discretion of the MSO Music Director.
- Winners who perform with the MSO are ineligible to compete the following competition year.
- Neither the MSO nor the Monroe Symphony League will be responsible for any expenses incurred by entrants.
- Entrants will be notified by email of their audition time prior to January 1, 2018. Names of winners will be announced following the completion of each Division’s Preliminary Round.
- Final winners and any winner selected to perform with the Monroe Symphony will be announced following the evening Final Round Recital.
- Each entrant will make provisions for his/her own accompanist. For assistance in obtaining an accompanist in the Monroe area, please contact the Auditions Coordinator as soon as possible. No guarantee will be made for last minute requests.
- Competition check-in is required at least 15 minutes prior to the contestant’s assigned audition time. No contestant will be allowed to check in without an original score for the judges.
- The Monroe Symphony League audition committee reserves the right to review and approve or disqualify applicants on the basis of their qualifications.
Dr. Mel Mobley– firstname.lastname@example.org; 318-342-1575
This project is made possible through the interest and generosity of:
Monroe Symphony League
Monroe Symphony Orchestra
ULM School of Visual and Performing Arts
Applications are due December 10, 2017 by midnight.
CLICK HERE to submit your application form and fee